Nevada City Police Department in cooperation with the Grass Valley Police Department
maintains an active professional Police Volunteer Program. Volunteers donate their time and
skills to assist the department in the performance of its duties. The program utilizes volunteers
with a wide range of skills and talents, and is designed to be beneficial to all involved. The
Nevada City Police Department volunteer program increases public awareness of the
department’s efforts through expanded service to the residents of the City.
In an effort to further build the program, we are actively seeking new volunteers. We have
volunteer support assignments available in both the administrative and operations divisions of
the department which include Parking Enforcement, Broken Window Patrol, Vacation Property
checks, Special Event management, & Support Services. This is an exciting opportunity for
community members to be part of their police department.
Our volunteer program complies with the best police practices for law enforcement volunteer
programs and follows guidelines of the International Association of Chiefs of Police Volunteers
in Police Service program.
By choosing to volunteer with the police department, you are making a difference in the lives of
Nevada City residents, businesses and visitors. Volunteers work side by side with police
employees in a variety of settings. You will have a front-row seat for behind-the-scenes
workings of law enforcement. There are many benefits by choosing to volunteer with Nevada
City Police Department. Just a few of those benefits are:
- Learn more about law enforcement
- Develop new skills.
- Help your community and make a difference in improving your community.
- Make new friends and contacts
- Help your police department fight crime
- Gain valuable work experience
- Witness firsthand what happens behind-the-scenes in law enforcement.
NCPD Volunteer Positions
Our Volunteers are greatly appreciated and serve the Nevada City Police Department in a wide
range of capacities. Positions are available primarily during business hours, Monday through
Friday, with some opportunities available during weekends and evenings for special events.
- Associate Cadet Advisor, work with area high school students
- Clerical Support; general office duties in a variety of sections
- Property & Evidence Assistant: data entry duties
- Reception Desk / Administrative Assistant: welcome and direct visitors. Help police staff
community relations office by answering phones, handling walk-in inquires, distributing
information on police services, Take police reports over the phone of minor and "no
suspect" crimes etc.
- Special Activities Volunteer: fill in for absent staff, work on annual events, assist with
surveys and special projects
- Citizens Observer Program (“COP”) patrol city streets, acting as an extra pair of eyes
and ears, Graffiti Abatement, Broken Window Patrol, Vacation Checks
- Parking enforcement; Disabled parking patrol,
- Radar Board Team
- Grant research and writing
- Vehicle maintenance coordinator
- Special Events Crowd management
- Other Assistance, as needed by the Department
Qualifications and application Process
All applicants are required to complete an application, interview and full Law Enforcement
background investigation process prior to being placed as a department volunteer. Interested
persons are also encouraged to stop by the police station and talk to any of our staff or
volunteers in order to learn more about the department
- Men and women, 18 years of age and old with No criminal record
- Complete and submit a City of Nevada City Employment Application and a P.O.S.T.
personal history packet to the Chief of Police
- Pass the initial review of the submitted City of Nevada City Employment Application and
P.O.S.T Personal History Statement
- Pass the Oral Interview with the Command Staff of the Nevada City Police Department
- Pass a background examination, Psychological Exam, Drug Screening, Medical Exam
and Life scan. Volunteers must pass a Police Background check. (No persons with
felony or misdemeanor convictions accepted)
For further information or other opportunities that may be available, please contact our Police
Volunteer Coordinator at 530-265-4700
The Nevada City Police Department strives to attract the highest quality individuals to become
Police Officer for the city. The Police Cadet position is an entry position to develop a
participant’s interest and skill for a career in law enforcement. The position is a volunteer
position and is perfect for individuals considering a position in policing with the Nevada City
- Age of 16 - 25 years
- A resident of the Nevada City / Grass Valley area
- No felony or misdemeanor convictions
- Successfully complete a pre-position interview with the NCPD Command Staff
- Demonstrate basic reading and writing ability
- Submit to a fingerprint and criminal history check
- Meet the POST police officer citizenship requirement
- Currently enrolled in a local High school or an accredited College or University and shall maintain a 2.00 grade point average.
- Ability to successfully complete the POST police officer background process which includes POST personal history packet, a comprehensive background investigation,
drug screening, physical examination and psychological screening prior to joining the
Cadets are expected to work 20 hours per month in a variety of assignments. The Cadet will be
under direct supervision of a full time member of the Nevada City Police Department. A Cadet’s
duties and responsibilities may include;
- Working special events; parades, street fairs, school presentations
- Participating in ride-a-longs with police officers
- Conducting vacation house checks, traffic surveys
- Assisting in crowd control, traffic direction and crime scene security
- Helping with traffic enforcement
- Completing simple police reports
- Delivering packets to Probation and the District Attorney’s Office
- Assisting in Community Policing activities; Broken Window Patrol
- Engaging in other supportive roles for the police department.
- Pass the initial review of the submitted City of Nevada City Employment Application
- Pass the Oral Interview with the Command Staff of the Nevada City Police
- Pass a background examination, Psychological Exam, Drug Screening, Medical
and P.O.S.T Personal History Statement
Exam and Life scan.
For further information call: 530-265-4700